The Tadini Institute of Fine Arts included a Music School and a Drawing School as well as the Gallery. The Tadini schools were the only ones of this type in a large area stretching from Lovere to the nearby valleys and Lake Iseo. For over a century they helped many young people to assert themselves as painters, musicians and craftsmen. According to Earl Tadini’s will, the school curricula included “civil architecture, decoration, drawing and mechanics; the aim of this School is, in fact, to educate and form young skilful artists, capable to create beautiful and durable objects”. It was a real arts and crafts School for builders, furniture makers and technicians and throughout the 19th century they would work in a large area of the region, within the new industrial context developing in Lombardy.
A series of evidences such as the collection of plaster works and didactic models, the repertoires for the drawing school and a large number of drawings made by the students, date back to that first period. They are more important from a historical rather than from an artistic point of view. This heritage which is considered fundamental to understand the development of education in the area is now being catalogued.
In 1866 and in the following years, with the growth of industrial settlements, the Academy organized Sunday and evening drawing courses for workmen, mainly attended by blacksmiths, carpenters, bricklayers. A course in Mechanic design was established in 1954 and abolished in 1968, when a State School (ITIS) with similar subjects was set up in Lovere.
Also the Drawing School became a Painting School in 1967 and was later abolished in 1983, when a State High School specializing in art subjects was opened in town.
Accademia di Belle Arti Tadini - Palazzo Tadini, via Tadini 40, 24065 Lovere (BG) - Tel.035 962780 - email@example.com